3D-vice

The 100%-Legality Project (for Germany)

The 100%-Legality Project (for Germany)

Alrighty, Ladies and Gentlemen...

This is the (ongoing) story of my 100%-Legality Project (for Germany). Since my Sondors FAT would require to have an operating permit in order to get it insured and to be allowed to ride it legally, I decided to change the specs of my Sondors to turn it into a Pedelec. German regulations require a Pedelec to have a 250W motor and to have either no thumb throttle, or a thumb throttle which is limited to 6km/h (pushing aid). Further more, German regulations define a Pedelec as a bicycle, and bicycles do not require an operating limit or to be insured at all.

Thanks to Wendy from Passion eBike, I now possess a 250W motor. I first thought about exchanging the original 350W motor and re-use the original rims and spokes, but after having seen so many cool mods here on the forum, it now urges me to get a set of new rims and tires. I've done some research and I am ready to start. I've also ordered a bunch of stuff:

• Bafang RMG060.250.DC geared hub motor, 36 holes, black (in stock)
  • Origin8 QR135mm sealed front hub, 36 holes, 135mm disc, black (in stock)
  • 2x Fat-Bike 26"x4" 100mm rims, 36 holes, 13 gauge, black (in stock)
  • INBIKE Cruiser Bike Seat, Wide Suspension Comfortable Bike Saddle (in stock)
  • 2x Kenda Juggernaut Sport DCT 26"x4,5" tires (in stock)
  • 2x Fat-Bike rim tape for 100mm rims (in stock)
  • 2x Fat-Bike tubes 26"x4,5" with Schrader valve (in stock)

SondorsOwnersForum_Parts.jpg.7b3fa04dcf04464bdd9339a012f4c689.jpg

I might change my mind concerning the tires. The bike shop (whizz wheels) which will lace my new wheels has a pair of high quality tires to offer which might fit my preferred style. The guys from the above mentioned bike shop are experts for wheel building. Their prices aren't the most affordable, but since my motto is "quality first", it's ok.

These spokes the're gonna use are:

• DTSwiss Comp 2,0/1,8/2,0mm spokes, black

• DTSwiss Prolock brass nipples, black

• DTSwiss Alpine special 2,34/2,0mm spokes, custom length, black

• DTSwiss ProHead + Prolock brass nipples, black

I am looking forward to work on my Sondors. :)

I'll keep you guys updated as soon as there's something new to tell.

Edited by 3D-vice
all links fixed by using an url shortener
  • Like 2

Matt, scroll to the bottom of the page for the link that says : skip these details and continue directly ➡️ to eBay.     Seen it before on Andi's links, I think.

Ive followed @3D-vice, progress so closely (hope Storm is paying attention) that it's just as rewarding to see this progress and quest to be legal, come to fruition, as it is my own efforts on my own CopperHeaded-RattleMoccasin. 

Edited by Tabletteer
  • Like 1

@TabletteerYeah I've seen that before, but something has changed because now all the links work.  Formerly they were refusals to display the link via Viglink, saying there was a phishing problem based on info from Google.  I could see the links went to Amazon.fr and figured something was haywire in the Viglink rewriter.  Now they go to USA Amazon.

@3D-vice looking good keep us posted!  Remember:  Pics or it didn't happen :-)

Thanks for the nice replies, guys! :) Whatever this Viglink-crap is, it seems to have messed up some links, but they seem to work now. I also realized that one of the links went to Amazon.fr (why ever), so I fixed this too.

Hehehe, yep, pics ftw! ;)

That Viglink, is just like the racks of Crap at the check out line at the Grocery Store (Lebensmittelgeschäft) in hopes that you'll impulse buy something. 

Obviously any re-attemps to visit those links while 3D was removing and replacing them caused some bad juju, until he replaced them..... 

Edited by Tabletteer

This screwing with links is a redirect that's happening on this server. It adds to the original link to include all that Viglink Crap. Here is link in one of my posts on the 750w 7 speed thread that I dissected. Everything below the break was added and corrupted again when I replace the link with the original. When I copy and paste the good link in another browser window, not connected thru this server, it opens correctly. Screen Shot:

image.thumb.jpeg.d7a847931eda46ae9533573e3ec1c8d3.jpeg

Ive put Andi on it after he finishes migrating us to a new server. 

Edited by Tabletteer

I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a completely legal eBike. All there is at best are bikes that appear to be legal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, biknut said:

I've come to the conclusion that there's no such thing as a completely legal eBike. All there is at best are bikes that appear to be legal.

There are way too many gray areas concerning eBikes, indeed. And looking at the latest changes of regulations, I assume the people responsible for them also lack a certain level of knowledge.

Edited by 3D-vice
  • Like 1

Viglink has broken one of your links again.  Its once again trying to send me to amazon.fr for the sealed front hub.  Basically viglink is making the mistaken assumption that I am in France so it is providing a regional experience for me.

And then it crashes.

Here is one way to outfox the programming:  Use a url shortener like goo.gl

here is the original link to your bike seat:

Click Me

And now here is the shortened version, which uses this URL:

https://goo.gl/JaNCn7

Click me (this one works directly)

viglink intercepts only certain urls it recognizes as commercial sales related, where it takes the info it gleans from the url and tries to redirect you to its own vendors.  If it cannot identify the destination it leaves it alone.

Edited by MattRobertson

Andi replied : 

VigLink re-affiliate links and replaces non functional / out of stock links with the viglink shopping site that searches for the original article title on hundreds of different sites.  Will check why this is so invasive.

?

Thanks guys for the additional info on the links in my original post remaining broken or corrupted... this VigLink is an annoying thingy somehow.

I've fixed all the links in my original post using an url shortener as recommended. Now it should work fine.

Alrighty, I somehow got crazy. Since a am building a pair of new wheels for my Sondors, I also got some more gimmicks and upgrades:

SondorsOwnersForum_Parts_addon.jpg.a7b825f36223bf9110e19d0de29bfd37.jpg

• Handlebar Stem Riser
  • A pair of 203mm two-colour Rotors and corresponding Brake Calliper adapters

Maybe I get super crazy and upgrade the rest of the brake system, too. I kinda like @MattRobertson's approach on the Magura Brake Project. Anyway, let's first build the wheels. The bikeshop is ready to go and I just need to bring them the raw materials...

Edited by 3D-vice

Looks like you've been infected with the Sondors Upgrade Virus. It's a very Tenacious Bug and hard to get rid of. The effects will put a smile on your face, while draining your retirement pocketbook. The eventual outcome is pride of ownership of your now, rebranded 3D-vice mobile. With so few parts remaining original it's no longer a Sondors. <];~) 

Edited by Tabletteer
  • Like 1

@3D-vice: Nice image work :-)  You are going to like the front adjustable stem.  I miss mine.  Unfortunately with my front motor/controller bag weighing about 7 lbs/3kg I don't trust anything but a solid front stem anymore.

Biggest/best thing about the Magura brakes besides the power and reliability is the blessed silence and no need to fiddle every few hundred miles.  Since you are in Germany I bet the ship cost from Holland (German brakes from Holland is best price... something wrong about that) is way less than it is to here in the States.  But then again there is VAT to deal with so probably its a wash.

Get that sucker built!

• Like 1

I got some of the parts for my project delivered and I like the fact that I can learn alot from inspecting those parts, in combination with the growing knowledge database here on the forum of course. For example, it was interesting to see that the 203mm disc brake mount adapters have different dimensions: The one for the front wheel (left) is shorter and has a different mounting angle than the one for the rear wheel (right).

SondorsOwnersForum_Adapter.thumb.jpg.d17f1ea0e35cd214ffd70fd1d1e06459.jpg

Another set of hardware I had ordered was a set of freewheels, one single-speed and one 3-speed. I bought them "on the fly" via Amazon. However, upon a closer inspection, I noticed that the manufacturing quality of the freewheels is ... how shall I say it ... pretty crappy.

SondorsOwnersForum_Freewheel.thumb.jpg.4e19b9d117f14db56573d23649b3df1d.jpg

For example: Have a look at the marked sections (red arrows). The quality of the thread is horrible. Further more, when shaking the freewheels, it sounds if there are loose parts falling around inside. And finally, I miss the cutouts for attaching a freewheel removal tool. If I'd ever want to remove those from the motor/hub, I'd probably become desperate.

In the end, I decided to stick with the single-speed version, throw those into the trash (or re-sell them or what-so-ever) and get a higher quality freewheel and a corresponding freewheel removal tool. OK, that trippled the price, but since quailty comes first imo, that was the way to go.

SondorsOwnersForum_Halo.thumb.jpg.ac103c3c9858af6281b51a3bb9b82fdb.jpg

That's it for the updates for now.

Edited by 3D-vice

Love all your doing. You might find that the new 203mm brake adapters will require a couple of washers between the frame/fork post mounts and the adapters, to keep the discs from rubbing on the caliper housings. Nothing wrong and many production bikes come this way too. I found it necessary on my disc upgrades, as have others here. Just be prepaired if you do. 

One of the best upgrades I accomplished was switching to the multi-speed option. I think you'd benifit the most during your upgrade efforts, from both a lower 1st gear and higher 3rd. Ask anyone else on the forum if they think it's worthwhile. Espically with no throttle to start off from a dead stop. 

Looking forward to the next installment of the 100% Legal Project 

Edited by Tabletteer

@Tabletteer Thanks for tyhe heads up on the adapters, man.

Concerning the multi-speed option: It's still an interesting option, as long as I can find a quality 3-speed sprocket. They seem to be hard to find.

Concerning the throttle: The good thing is that I'll still have the throttle operational. It will function as a starting aid and only push up to a speed of 6 km/h, so starting from a dead stop won't be that hard.

@Evyan Just some minor news. They day b4 yesterday I brought my new rims, rim strips, frontwheel hub and the motor to the bike shop and they're gonna lace in the spokes within the next 2 weeks (they are quite busy since the quality of their work seems to be stellar and they have a lot of clients).

I doubt that I will find some time to do some modding this month, anyway, because I need to move out of my office room to a new one and this will consume most of my available weekend time. However, I can hear all those new bike parts calling for being installed, hehehe.

Oh, and I got that Halo Klickster freewheel delivered, as well as a quality 3-speed freewheel from my forum-buddy @Tabletteer (thanks again, man! :) Global trading at its best, yay.), so there are many new gimmicks available to play with... w00t

Edited by 3D-vice
  • Like 2

With the Electric Black Lightning now, 750W/7S, the 3speed Freewheel needed to be adopted. "A gear is a terrible thing to waste". I know that 3D will provide a loving home and even let it up on the bed at night, plus my satisfaction that it will be riding with 3D on the opposite side of the globe. ))image.thumb.jpeg.cba9ce797cbbbdc1bc7cc175c5cbf8f2.jpeg

Wise choice for the  Bike Shop, just like Truck Stops along the highway. The ones with the most trucks are the places to stop at. Truckers know which are best and Trucks don't run on diesel alone. 

Edited by Tabletteer
  • Like 1

Small update: The bike shop has finished my new wheels and I just have to pick them up. Unfortunately, I've been in hospital due to suffering from a serious dizziness which keept getting worse during the day. I fear it has something to do with a cervical spine syndrome somehow. I'm still in the process of recovering, and I'm at home again.

I'll keep you guys updated!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Marco
      Stock wheels for Sondors X available from late May 2018  onwards.
      These wheels won't even be hung on the bike (Silver European X) and are therefore brand new and presumably perfect for anyone that has had a disagreement with a pot hole or such like.
      Private Message (PM) me if you are interested, and I will update this thread when no longer available.

• By Ehab Yazid
      Hi 
      Does anyone have a condors fold certificate for customs, I cant seem to get one from anywhere?
    • By Andi
      Tires, Tubes, etc...
      http://store.sondorsforum.com/collections/accessories https://www.fattirebikeparts.com/index.php/extreme-fat-tire-bike-parts-and-components-online-store/fat-tires-fat-tire-tubes-for-fat-tire-bikes/xtreme-patented-skull-pattern-fat-tires-detail http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PAK-Sunlite-Vee-Crusher-26-x-3-5-Wire-Bead-Fat-Bike-Tires-Black-fit-Speedster/371308581884 https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-Vee-Rubber-26x4-7-Mission-Command-Pair-Fat-Tires-Folding-Bead-Silica-Compound/320476468?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=10232&adid=22222222227144302754&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=253414499279&wl4=pla-416990220389&wl5=200623&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=117446822&wl11=online&wl12=320476468&wl13=&veh=sem http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222416140/1528/Vee-Tire-Co-Mission-Command.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o1&scid=scplp333222416140&sc_intid=333222416140&gclid=CjwKCAjwnLjVBRAdEiwAKSGPI3b8STHe_0gtM0A8M1T7OP6416l5nf3LxDu_3ys3U1S7Qu1H4b4A-BoC-BkQAvD_BwE Mr. Tuffy tire protectors
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/MR-TUFFY-XL-SERIES-Fat-Bike-3XL-26-29x3-1-4-0-Tire-Guard-Liner-Tan-Pair-/301842802164 Studded Tires
      http://www.aliexpress.com/item/26x4-9-Studded-Tyres-for-Chaoyang-for-sondors-ebike-fat-bike-tire/32597372847.html Fat Tire Rim Strips
      http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Bike-Rim-Strips-yellow/dp/B01AJFEB32/ http://store.sondorsforum.com/accessories/products/fat-bike-low-profile-street-tire?variant=5690083587 MAXXUS Mammoth Fat Tire
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/272084778558 VEE Rubber Tube 26"x4.00 (will also fit to 4.9)
      http://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/vee-rubber-26x4-00-av-26-fat-bike-av-26x4-0  
    • By Jim Siebel
      I ordered 2 Fold X white with 500W motors, 48V 14AH battery yesterday and received shipping confirmation today!
      They arrived on Jan 22.  The displays shipped separately and arrived about a week later.

• By MattRobertson
      The purpose of this thread is to display the various parts of the Sondors Original electric bicycle.  These diagrams are meant to annotate all parts on the Sondors Original ebike with an eye towards defining terms for the complete beginner.  Have a suggestion for improvement?   Post a question in the forum so all can see and contribute.  This thread is a reference work that is closed to replies to keep it tidy.
      Try clicking on an image and bring it up in a new window.  These started out life as high resolution images and can be seen larger in their native format.
      The Frame
      Here we point out common terms for the Sondors frame.  These terms are common to all bicycles and ebikes, and you can use these terms in any discussion of cycling, anywhere.

Bicycle Components
      Here we list the parts attached to the frame, above.  We can't point to every single part but we have hit all of the highlights

Components - Rear
      Zooming in on the back to label a few things not easily visible in the full bike view.

Components - Front
      Zooming in on the front axle area to see some details on the brakes.  More importantly, if someone wants to see your Sondors' nipples you don't necessarily need to call the police.

Components - Middle
      Now you know the bottom bracket means two things depending on what you are pointing at.  And the 'spindle' is the axle of the cranks, and hold on the crank arm via the crank bolt (which takes an 8mm hex key wrench that you should check every so often to ensure it is still at about 35 ft lbs of torque).  Plus with this enlarged view we can see the 2-pieces that make up the PAS system a lot better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.