LocalGuyTX

Sondors Thin - Range?

Sondors Thin - Range?

This last week, while commuting to work, I managed to get 50.4 miles on one charge over four days. The LCD still showed two bars (half), with the one red LED showing on the right thumb throttle gauge. 

How? I avoided using the thumb throttle except for one instance. I used Level 1 assist most of the time, Level 2 on two days when heading home against gusty, strong winds, and when a bit of tail wind aided me, I set the assist to Zero and used the legs God gave me! 

I did this to test the upper limit on range. Fifty miles is the advertised upper range limit. I back up that claim based upon my experience overall, and especially after this last week. 

I'll have much more to say regarding my experiences later. I had to publish this now in order to counter the "experts" who insist that the Sondors Thin couldn't POSSIBLY go 50 miles.

Use it as a Power Assist Bicycle, and yes it can! ? ? ? 

Bryan Lovejoy 

InstaFit_20170323_16575679.jpg

Edited by LocalGuyTX
Insert image.
  • Like 1

I bought my Thin to go fast! I'm lucky if I get 15 miles per charge lol. But I don't run the battery to 0%, so I could probably squeeze about 17 miles or so out of mine.

• Like 1

I could get less than 20 miles. Easy. Hardly ever pedal. Wow! It draws a lot of watts. Level 1 is about 50 watts. Level 2 draws around 75 watts. Look at your wattage usage while using full thumb throttle. Dang! ? ? 

Since you seem like a hands-on kind of guy, have you looked into reprogramming the KT LCD or just perusing and understanding the parameters?  There is a whole programming mode hiding inside that thing which among other things sets the level of response on your PAS level to level.

edit:  here - 

In particular C14 defaults to level 2 and you can set it down to 1 if you like, which decreases the differential from one PAS level to the next.  I have mine set to '1' specifically so I don't get such big jumps.

Don't forget to use the download link in the first post to get your copy of the manual.  Its written in auto-translated Chinese so it can be a bit dense but you can figure it out.  

Lastly.. turn off the C8 parameter if its on unless the Thin has a temp sensor.  The fatties don't have one. 

Edited by MattRobertson
  • Like 1

The power assist level setting is particularly interesting, as I am a flat lander now. I would like less differential between steps. I can't tell you how many times I've gone back and forth between 1 and 2, wishing there was a 1.5. ?

Thanks! I'll download it. Perhaps I'll rewrite it into real English. ?

What I'd really like is a procedure on how to get into the deeper settings, then a simple listing of default, proper settings for the Sondors Thin specifically. Where a useful choice departing from the default setting exists, have stated in plain English why that change might be chosen. 

Example:

C1 = 0

C2 = 1

C3 = 0   Set to 1 for more power. 

Pretend examples only! I used C settings, as I may have screwed up a default setting getting the cruise control to work. Oops! ? 

Also, the temperature reading is no less than 10°F high. Can that be calibrated? 

The settings in that thread are pretty much best-case.  There's no secret setting in there to unlock a hidden governor other than the speed limiter.  Everything else is going to reduce power, which can be a good thing if you have an unusual situation.  For example I have a front wheel motor installed and the power is so strong its a safety hazard so I use C5=04 to reduce torque to the axle by 1/3 (I used to reduce it by half with C5=03 but I'm ramping up slowly). 

By the way, the C5 parameter can be used to reduce amps (torque) to your motor which will in turn extend its range.  Voltage (horsepower) will be largely unaffected.  So you can use that to further shave down the effect between PASx and PASy.

C1 is another PAS parameter... It is start sensitivity.  The three choices are 00, 01 and 02.  00 is most sensitive and 02 is least.  I'm experimenting with the two, still.  Nothing earthshaking but worth playing with perhaps.

No there's nothing you can do about the temp calibration.  I assume you are referring to the ambient temp reading.  It is what it is unfortunately.

Edited by MattRobertson