Everbody

Security

Thought I’d start this. The first thing you should do when you receive your bike is record the serial number and post it to one or more bicycle registries. I like http://bikeregistry.com because it’s no or low cost. I’ll post my serial number, color, year, etc. here also, it couldn’t hurt. Take pictures of the serial # and any changes you make to the bike. Make a card with contact information and insert in the seat tube.

If you have home or rental insurance give your agent the bike’s details.

Next is to get a lock. There’s plenty of advice on the internet. If you live in a high crime area get the best lock you can. The local police should have recommendations for your area.

I see that the wheels are held by nuts on solid axles. For security this is better than quick release hubs. If you have the tools and parts, add another nut to each axle and tighten with two skinny bicycle wrenches. The seat may have a quick release. If you don’t adjust the seat height often, replace the quick release with a bolt and nut.

Any other thoughts?

Don't forget about bike computers, lights, and other costly items that can easily be removed by a thief. I take my computer (Cateye Padrone) and two main lights with me when I go into anywhere. I didn't even consider this until someone told me their fixie was stripped after parking it outside a coffee shop for 10 minutes.

I also use bags on my bike and remove those or the contents if it's not something I'm ok with vanishing. I keep a few basic tools in the small seat bag that I am not worried about losing, but extra battery, charger, etc all goes with me (when I get it). I figure better safe then sorry.

I've been using a piece of chain and a padlock that I can feed through the front wheel and around the frame. It's not exactly stylish or easy to do. So I'm looking for a good lock that will fit somewhere through the frame itself to help deter thieves. For a while I was using the chain and a fake lock that literally just pulled open. Sometimes just seeing a bike lock or chain will deter theft. But not all of us live in cities where this kind of thing happens a lot. I'm sure some bigger city folks have some great suggestions to keep the bike safe.

I recently registered my bike at my local police office (here in Germany). They have standard forms to fill in and once it is done, your bike is registered in their system. That's not a guarantor for a successful retrieval when the bike is stolen, but it's one more level of security at least.

Anyway, I plan to try to avoid parking by bike in the public, because removing all the gadgets over and over again might get annoying over time. ;)

On February 14, 2016 at 10:05 AM, brians said:

Follow the front fork up through the frame. It’s near the very top of the frame, above the storm logo under the handlebar.

That is called the head tube. The Sondors has introduced many non cyclists to the culture that don't know the nomenclature or make up their own terms for parts, here is a good starting point for reference.

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/bicycleparts.html

• Like 1

Like others, I am unable to locate the Serial number. The head tube is a completely smooth painted surface (aluminum frame, Pearl White). I suspect the Serial was over painted during the build to the point where no depth of engraving can be noticed. Assuming by the description of others the numbers are supposed to be on the front of the head tube, just below the handlebars and above the S?

I prefer not to damage the paint, searching for the Serial, but how other could one identify the bike in the event of it being stolen?

This could just be the saddest Q/A process in the final manufacturing of a bike.

Thoughts and or suggestions,

Thanks,

G

I bought my Sondors Thin in last 2016 and it took me a while to find the serial number. It is stamped into the bottom of the frame bottom bracket. See attached pic.

image_123923953.JPG

I received a Sondors original 7/31/17. I have searched every inch of this bike and cannot find a serial number. I don't even see an indent in the paint to indicate a serial number might be hiding under the paint. What is the chance Sondors keeps a record of who got what serial number prior to shipping to the customer or if a serial number was even put on it?

Welcome  @Christine to the Sondors Owners Forum, we are glad to have you with us. Enjoy your stay and please post to the member map and complete your registration with a background picture and image to represent you so you're  just not a color and letter. 

Well, the two places is should be are either on the bottom of the Bottom Bracket Shell or the Head Tube. We have not heard that Sondors has recorded individual customer serial numbers but who knows what the factory in China has done. Contact Sondors at Customer Support on their home page at,  Sondors.com

You can alternately add your own identification to your bike for security (a sheet metal or machine shop can help you do this with numbered or lettered punch sets) and register it with  the National Bike Registry, if your bike does not have a serial number. :

https://www.nationalbikeregistry.com

image.jpeg.b8bec3ed6d409c68a55f5c983611290d.jpeg

Reddy

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

Yeah but if you do that your punches will punch right through your paint to get to the metal.  I remember watching the local fireman hit my brand new Stingray's bottom bracket with a punch the city used to mark their registered bikes when I registered it as a kid. I was really pissed.  Eventually it rusted at that spot thanks to that flaked off and damaged paint.

I don't have a better solution.  Just the thought of using a punch on the metal triggered that long-forgotten memory.

Edited by MattRobertson

I was also fairly convinced my Sondors didn't have a serial number. It wasn't until I had it upside down on the bike stand under some really bright lights that I spotted it.

Paint is only paint and can be touched up on the bottom of the bottom bracket in 2 minutes by masking it off and 2$ can of RustOlium, but the first scratch or blemish is always the worst. There are transmitters that fit within seatpost and fork steerer tubes to track your bike to your computer or cell phone. I proposed to Andi that a Sondors Registry could be a service of the forum but realized that the NBR was a better option and already had a good record of returned bikes. If I can't find secure parking I don't stop there. That's the best security I know of. I even have proprietary parking inside my regular grocery store.

image.thumb.jpeg.c5791af591b03abe5c25c858c2f82703.jpeg

I'll bet Christine finds her serial number with a little more effort. 

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt