Fern240

Any motor and battery upgrades for "thin"

Yes and the post are here on the forum and numerous....use the search function and it will bring you 26 returns.

like: 

I don't think anyone here has yet to install the Bafang 8Fun 750watt geared hub motor replacment (with associated battery and controller update) or any of the mid drives either, Bafang or Cyclone, but it is possible. 

You might mosey over to the Luna Cycles site and window shop.

https://lunacycle.com/sondors-upgrades/

Edited by Tabletteer

I wish we could buy an original upgrade battery from Sondors direct.

There was a quick enough face on when people were buying third party equipment before so I'm surprised They didn't listen and offer upgraded Batteries etc to Former buyers

The Sondors Business Plan is to remain, small and efficient to supply the best eBikes in the market for a great price. They do offer replacment parts as required  but at 3 or 4 times what you can find them for in the open market. Offering a multitude of batteries, in voltages, capacities and bike models,  that you'll find from 3rd party vendors, plus all the problems with warranties and support personel to deal with that,  just doesn't fit Storms efficient and cost effective efforts. 

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt

Yep,

I would have paid for a genuine Thin upgraded type but they just wont post to the UK.

Ive bought two Bikes buts obviously not enough for a mutual commitment to the buyer from the seller

The Sondors Owners Forum is not connected to the Sondors Company. We are obviously, for the most part, all wonderfully happy purchasing and owning the biggest success story in the electric bike industry and a group of owners dedicated to helping other owners. You can report your disdain, and complain directly to Sondors at: https://support.sondors.com/hc/en-us  You can even submit a request form, asking that they produce and sell the upgrade product you request.  

image.jpeg.cffd101aa476967990d6e3d4d3528258.jpeg

Reddy

I'm perfectly happy that they left sales of higher capacity batteries to 3rd party vendors, that have created competition in the market and lower prices. I have three  different high capacity 52v batteries that I couldn't be happier with. They wouldn't be as cheap nor as accessable if I were to order them from Sondors and wait while they shipped from China by sea.

image.thumb.jpeg.a8245e1b73893ce4144a516f58883d32.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.4b2230114ceeb0d9a288503dc005aec2.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cd19f8a11591721bddb15f6c617a7fef.jpeg

I'm receiving today from FedEx a Electro Bike World, Lindsey Nguyen (Wen) LT48V 14Ah Lithium battery $499, 25 amp 36-52v KT controller $65 and a KT-LCD3 dash $60 for a total of $624. Shipping is free and only took 3 working days! I'll let you know how it performs on my Thin with stock 350 watt motor. Thank you, Tim from flat and windy Kansas.

Here is my Sondors Thin with a Electro Bike World LT48v 14Ah Battery,25 amp controller and a KT-LCD3 dashboard. Everything fit perfect. The wires were all long enough and had an extra red plug for a headlamp or horn setup. It took about 20 minutes to do everything. I put Velcro on the controller and packing foam under the battery that came in the packaging. I ran all the wires above the battery with no problems. I removed the 3 black rubber circle things for more battery clearance. I wired the stock 36v battery connector with the 48v one in case I would like to run the stock battery with the new controller.Thanks,Tim from flat and windy Kansas.imageproxy.php?img=&key=abfcc69eb9e3c54e

IMG_20171206_174215634.jpg

15126075733511166185551.jpg

IMG_20171206_174129974.jpg

IMG_20171206_151907520.jpg

IMG_20171206_151543767.jpg

IMG_20171206_160406833.jpg

Edited by Tim S.
Added more information.

@Tim S. - How's the new battery/controller/LCD setup working out for you? I've got one on order for mine as well. Do you happen to know the exact part number of the motor on the Thin? Was trying to figure out what the matching 500w motor would be from Bafang. Thanks!

@Chad Lauterbach, if you are trying to accomplish a power delivery increase with that 500w motor, thats not going to work.  Motor ratings simply are a measure of how much punishment the motor can take over a prolonged period.  Bigger numbers = more is the simplest way to look at it.  Add to that the fact that Bafang underrates their motors.  A  350w motor has been found to happily take 1000w + with no ill effects.  How do you increase power?  In automotive terms, amps are torque and volts are horsepower.  So if you want stronger acceleration, add a 20 or 25a controller.  If you want higher top speed, change your 36v battery to a 48v or 52v.  Want both?  Do both controller and battery (which is very common).

How much can the stock motor take?  A 25a controller and a 48v battery should be good all day long, forever.  A 52v battery and a 25a controller is usually fine.  A few owners who use their bikes as hill climbers on full throttle have smoked their motors.  For almost everyone though its no problem.

To date, for the Thin, there is no motor upgrade.  There are 500w and 750w options for the fatties but nothing for Thins.  On fatties, 500w is of dubious value.  But a 750w motor has a different plug ... and it fits a 35a controller which, coupled to 52v, makes for a hot rod 30 mph bike...  40 mph if you set it up for 60v.

I'm running the original 350 watt motor with a 25 amp Controller and 48volt 14.8 amp with no problems what's so ever. I also went with a Luna dash instead of the Sondors. I've had it up to 28 mph. I recently built a 3,000 watt Cyclone on a $189 Walmart Mongoose Dolomite with the mid drive and the 8 gears it's real fun!  Using the same battery that I had for my Sondors Thin.

orca-image-1519344394735.jpg_1519344394932.jpeg

So, @Tim S. you switched the Dolomites 7 speed drive train for an 8 speed? The Cyclone was the plan I've had for my Dolomite but I'm waffling on the motor choice. Not sure where I'm going with it but I'm leaning towards the 750w Bafang like my Sondors Daily Driver but instead of 52v  pumping it up to 60V. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9642a94a0ef2cc9f6bd22e9eb2ae9ee6.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c25d46cda334dadb9ceb409d1c084a4c.jpeg

image.jpeg.460181aebee7ca43d0f0c2b7c7188c24.jpeg

Reddy

@MattRobertson Thanks for that insight. E-bikes are new to me (heck, bikes are new to me), but my IT background has me relatively electrically and technically inclined so that made perfect sense on amps/volts = torque/hp. Just last night I installed and updated controller and screen I got from https://electrobikeworld.com. I have this battery coming in a couple weeks that I'm really excited about, should make a huge difference: https://electrobikeworld.com/products/lt48-48v-14ah-lithium-ion-battery

I haven't had a chance to take the bike out yet, but will this afternoon to test it out. I'm looking forward to that and will report back. I was really surprised how easy all that was to install. Sounds like the combo of the controller and battery will get me what I want out of the bike...

My only other question would be I noticed even before the upgrade I would be going 22mph (I had already bumped the speed limit on the controller/screen) and on flats I would be pedaling mostly air. I thought about throwing a 48+ tooth cog up front or trying to add gears. Anyone have any experience with that? I live on a steep hill in Los Angeles, but besides that most of the climbs in the area I hit are pretty tame and I'd like to be able to burn some calories, put some human power on the bike, and increase range that way.

Thanks for all the info everyone. Love that this is such an active forum. Thanks @Tim S.

IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

@Chad Lauterbach, of course the Thin 7 already has a 7speed cassette

image.thumb.jpeg.4dd64a6c76d02504b0d8f0230434d9d1.jpeg

https://sondors.com/products/2018-sondors-thin-us-canada-only?variant=6559743246375

but that conversion won't work on your single speed freewheel Bafang Motor. You are limited to replacing your freewheel with a 3speed freewheel,  as chronicled here on the forum and yes a higher tooth count chainring is advisable for keeping up with a higher top speed. 

https://sondorsforum.com/topic/20-3-speed-conversion/?do=findComment&comment=1109

https://sondorsforum.com/topic/20-3-speed-conversion/?do=findComment&comment=1111

Sheldon explained the difference between the Freewheel and Cassette.  https://www.sheldonbrown.com/free-k7.html

Reddy

Yes go to Luna and they should gave the setting to open up the top speed and different settings. Like how fast to take off called ramp and many others. It has to be an aftermarket one though not from Sondors. Just Google your questions and you will have an afternoon of reading. Thanks,Tim.

@Chad Lauterbach, your ElectroBikeWorld controller should be configured to take advantage of Hot Rod performance. If you have specific perameters you'd like to address you can message Nick @ EBW on their website but they generally don't respond on weekends.  Alternately you can PM Lindsey here on the forum? 

Reddy

@Tim S. and @Reddy Kilowatt - Thanks for all the responses and help guys. It seems to be working fine so far and I found a ton of information online about the settings. The main thing I noticed was the wheel size was wrong, but that was a quick fix. Does the Thin 7 use the same frame and/or motor? How did they accomplish the 7-speed on that bike? Seems like the frame would need to be wider at the wheel or the motor would need to be thinner, right? While I might be technically inclined it's been a long time since I've done much mechanical work... like since I worked on my cars in high school. :)

I'll probably consider that 3 speed upgrade at some point. Seems like a good fit for what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

@Chad Lauterbach, Yes the Motors are different. I didn't explained properly in my previous post but that why I had included a link to Sheldon Brown and it entails how the  single cog Freewheel and 7 cog Cassette  mount to the different mounting hubs on  motor cases although the examples show conventional bicycle rear hubs. I'm not sure about the actual rear dropout spacing for the Thin but I assume that Sondors only builds one universal Thin Frame and the gear side motor case is responsible or the overall width.  To upgrade a single speed Thin to a 7 speed you have to change motors. 

I have (my girlfriends Sondors Narow) a single speed 350w bike shown here the day I assembled it, 

image.thumb.jpeg.c6a70833d1250c6baba059d1b4e223a2.jpegI'm riding the last few days while upgrading my Fat (once again) and I'd forgotten just how valuable the multi speed conversions are.  It's a turtle off the line and your legs spin out before you reach full speed. My next project will be to add the 3speed conversion for her. I have to say that the discontinued Narrow Model is a great, nimble, kinda Fat compromise between the Fat and Thin with 26 X 4.0  Chaoyang tires on narrower rims.

Reddy

@Chad Lauterbach if you live on a steep hill, that makes things tough for you.  As you've heard its common to remove the stock cranks and put on something different that can accept a variety of chainrings up front.  The trouble is what that will do to you on a hill you are trying to climb.  To get home.

The solution is, of course, traditional gears.  A single speed bike is either going to be good for flat ground or hills depending on what gears it has.  But it can't be both  It *is* possible to put a 6-7 speed rear gear cluster (freewheel) on that Thin but you are going to have to do more work than someone new to bikes should be doing.  You are talking about spreading your chain/seatstays to accommodate the wider cluster width, and then likely as a secondary measure bending the rear dropouts back into parallel (that second step is almost never done by the shade tree bike mechanic but its pretty important).

Best bet is to visit the 3-speed conversion page and first, get a 3-speed cluster working on the rear of your bike.  I believe that can either be done with no spreading or with so little spreading that its not anything to be concerned with.  Once you have two new, higher gears available you can change out your front crankset to something - I suggest a 130 BCD (Bolt Circle Diameter) crank spider so you are good for 42T up to the Ridiculous Zone which peaks at 60T on the fatties.  I would just bite the bullet on cost and first throw on whatever comes with the crank set... maybe a 46T?  See if you are happy with it.  If so, buy a slightly larger one... a 48T?  Use it.  Good to go?  Want more?  Try a 50 and so on.  Chainrings are $25 to $35 a pop and you want to strike a balance between being able to pedal up the hill strongly (you need to help that motor get up the hill!)  and not clown pedaling on the flats.

A secondary issue is what that hill is going to do to your gear teeth inside that rear hub motor.  With a 25a controller and a 48v battery, you will be darn near best-case on power to try and make it up that hill, but all that power is delivered to forward motion via the internal gears inside the motor... the chain/drivetrain has nothing to do with it.  So ALL of the stress of shoving you up the hill is on those tiny nylon teeth in your planetary gear assembly inside the motor.  The term for what can happen is to 'peanut butter' the gears and you can guess what that means your gears look like if you overdo it.  Best advice for me to give you is don't rely on throttle to get up the hills.   Work it.  A geared hub is not in its element going up a hill so do your part to postpone or avoid what is otherwise a significant risk.

I built a whole other bike to combat steep hills for this reason.  My Sondors is optimized for high speed on the flats.

Really appreciate all the thoughts and input from everyone again. I think I'm going to work on the 3-speed conversion for now as recommended. I didn't realize the potential damage to the rear hub motor powering up the hills, so I'll be careful and make sure to put some pedal power in. I like pedaling, which is part of the whole dilemma here. The fixed gear is very hard to push up the hill, and I'm going to fast on the flats often to get much power on the wheel either. A larger front cog paired with gears in back sounds like the fix I need and hopefully enough. Will report back when I eventually get it done. :)

• Like 1

Hey @Chad Lauterbach or anyone else that would know,  I just upgraded my battery and controller on my Thin as well as added the LCD. Everything works great but my mileage is WAY off! I set the wheel size to 28" as I thought that's what this bike has but... What is the correct setting here? Thanks

john

On 7/26/2018 at 11:49 AM, johnc said:

Hey @Chad Lauterbach or anyone else that would know,  I just upgraded my battery and controller on my Thin as well as added the LCD. Everything works great but my mileage is WAY off! I set the wheel size to 28" as I thought that's what this bike has but... What is the correct setting here? Thanks

john

Hi John,

I'm riding a Thin and I have mine set to 700c and it seems spot on. Here's the other settings I'm riding, but note, I also upgraded my battery to a 48v 14.4ah.

P1 = 100
P2 = 6
P3 = 1
P4 = 0
P5 = 14

C1 = 02
C2 = 0
C3 = 8
C4 = 3
C5 = 7   amp output
C6 = 3
C7 = 1
C8 = 1
C9 = 0
C10 = n
C11 = 0
C12 = 4
C13 = 0
C14 = 1

Here's a good link on the controller settings: 

Thanks @Chad Lauterbach! I also have  the LT48 14.4Ah. Hopefully this gets me going. Currently after a week it thinks I have been almost 400 miles haha. Only really been about 160. Have you done any other upgrades? In my commute I've determined I definitely want the suspension fork, a Suntour seat post as well as new brakes.  Any advise?