hi,

i just crashed my sondos thin. the crash broke one of my brakes: see picture.

and now i need a replacement. most links to brakes here are to american shops. can somebody send me some links to brakes from european shops, because i don´t want to wait so long for the new ones. which specs do the brakes need to have that they would work for the sondors thin?

ps. this post is all in lower case, because it hurts if i move my left arm xD

crashedbreaks.jpg

Edited by Simon Ruane
On 22.2.2017 at 6:35 PM, MattRobertson said:

Nice find.  The only issue will be you are going to need to attach the appropriate connectors yourself as those levers have bare leads.  Hope you saved the remnants of your original lever!

^ What he said. Nice find! :)

• 3 months later...

@Martin Kurth Welcome to the Sondors Owner Forum! Great to have you as an new member!

My favorite euro bike online retailer, at present, is Chain Reaction Cycles.  http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/

The usual first upgrade to better brakes, on our bikes, is Disc Size. If you desire better modulation, more stopping power per grip pressure or less brake pad adjustment the hydraulics offer an advantage. It you live and ride in a particularly cold climate, hydraulics might not be the better choice. 

The Shimano Deore M615 are offered at Luna Cycles here in the US for $120 a pr, (front and rear) and I believe they ship to all Europe. https://lunacycle.com/shimano-deore-m615-hydraulic-brake-set-with-bafang-ebrake-cut-off/

Unfortunatly the offering from Passion eBikes is priced at $82.45 per wheel. 

Edited by Reddy Kilowatt
  • Like 1

Hello Martin,

Wendy Xie's Pasion EBike is a well known Sondors / ebike vendor and she has the same brakes for US$95 shipped free.  I suspect the deal is the same for your country and currency.  She ships Fedex International so delivery from China to the US is fairly swift.

https://goo.gl/3ppFaU

The price is for a complete brake set.

On 6/22/2017 at 10:04 AM, Martin Kurth said:

i found only on https://pasionebike.de.aliexpress.com/store/1088910 brakes with cut off power contact to controller.

Yes the issue you will find is that brake interrupters are rare while of course brakes themselves come in many varieties.

The Magura brakes are the only other factory-built option if you want motor cutoffs built into your brakes.  There is, however, another option to allow you to do-it-yourself.  From a cost standpoint it makes no sense but if your desire is fixed on a particular type of brakes, this relatively new product will allow you to wire up the brakes of your choice.

http://www.ebikes.ca/product-info/tripwire.html

At US$70 for a set, plus shipping plus your time and effort to implement them to the brakes of your choice, its not a choice I would make.  But its there for you if you want it.

For the money, if you desire a premium product the 4-piston Maguras are the easy option and provide more stopping power than you will be capable of using.

image.png.0d7dbe2d4952caa89ad85c66220236bf.png

what I surmise from this thread is that Martin not only wants to upgrade his é brakes to hydraulic but would rather buy them at a European shop and have them install'em.  His lack of English and unclear, abbreviated posts leave us unable to zero in on his quest and it just seems like he's taking a stab at anything he reads here or on other sites because he's switched what he wants several times. Most major bike brake companies offer hydraulic eBrakes. Even Tektro has eBrake Hydraulic levers but there is also the problem that some levers are no contact circuit on activation, or contact connect curcuit on activation. Magura offers either. I have no idea where Martin is but a Local Shop Vendor or Magura rep is where he can probably get the best advise and decide what he wants and who he can get to install them. Hopefully he can find a native speaker to exchange with, not a single one of our regular European members has stepped up to the plate to help.  

• 5 months later...

Hi, Matt!

I'm from Europe and my controller in Sondors X (for Europe - 250W) is SD48ZWSR-LD12i.

Now I'm checking the bike and how can I see, the brake "in action" close the electric circuit (as presented on the second photo).

What do you think, do I need the closer-brakes?

Thanks for helping!

IMG_20171129_214052.jpg

IMG_20171129_210920.jpg

Edited by gutgemacht
19 hours ago, gutgemacht said:

Hi, Matt!

I'm from Europe and my controller in Sondors X (for Europe - 250W) is SD48ZWSR-LD12i.

Now I'm checking the bike and how can I see, the brake "in action" close the electric circuit (as presented on the second photo).

What do you think, do I need the closer-brakes?

Thanks for helping!

All of the KT controllers behave the same way, so the fact we may have different Sondors models means nothing.  Our experiences are thankfully interchangeable.

All I can say with certainty is that the closers work.

You being in Germany, there is an option for you that you probably should consider.  There is a German seller offering take-off MT5e sets.  I have corresponded with him as he does not offer a manufacturer part number so we can tell which model he is offering.  My German is extremely rusty but I can tell he is offering the N0 versions which apparently are the closers, based on a few ads from sellers that I have researched.  Magura is silent on the 'N0' vs. 'NC' designations some vendors use.  I corresponded with the seller:

My Question:
"Are these the 'Closer' version? Hard for me to confirm with the information I can find on the web that 'NO = closer. Magura part # for 'closer' type is 2700984."

the Seller's answer:
"I trade with remainders of the company CUBE Germany. These brakes were installed on speed bikes 45 km / h. The brake interrupts the circuit and turns on a tail light.
I have sold about 12 sets of gas with this description so far. The customers had nothing to complain about"

Obviously we have a bit of a language barrier, and I think he does not post the part number or directly answer the question because the nature of his business means he doesn't know the answer.   So I don't blame him for the indirect response.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172976369307?ul_noapp=true

It may very well be that both versions work.  I can only say with certainty that closers work since I own a set.  I would save about US$50 by buying one of the two sets available on EBay right now, but if it doesn't work out I have to send them back to Germany.  For that extra US$50 I can buy a set of brakes I know work, from a certified Magura dealer, and I will receive them in about three days.  So I will stick to what I know.

Edited by MattRobertson
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey All, recently a good friend of mine did a complete hydraulic brake upgrade to my Sondors. But, but, but what about the e-brake switches you might ask. Well that is the really cool part. Ther is a new product on the market called the TripWire that is for this exact problem. And they have a new model that is plug-n-play for the Sondors. Anyway, I encouraged him to do a walk-through video for our DIY crowd...and he did a great detailed one and put it up on YouTube. On my project he installed Formula brakes with 203mm discs, including the TripWires which work perfectly. The difference in braking power is fantastic. But the best part is the FEEL. I now do all my stopping with one finger on the levers. Plus they look great! Here is the link to the video:

Enjoy.ave a new

• Thanks 2