Florda Jack

Stem Riser for Handlebar Height

I am 6' 2" and with the seat at the proper height, the handlebar is way too low for a comfortable riding position. After researching and considering different stem risers, new handlebars, etc, I settled on the Ritchey 4-Axis Adjustable Road/Mountain Bicycle Stem - BB Black . The size is 120mm/31.8mm. Once set to your preferred adjustment, the riser angle is locked in place, which to me is critcal for safety. I am very happy with the quality and result. I did switch the bolts from black to the stainless ones that came with our stock stem. I then used the black ones to fill the accessory holes on the frame. Looks better on my yellow frame than the stainless ones from sondors.

Here is a link :

https://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-4-Axis-Adjustable-Mountain-Bicycle/dp/B01849MCHC/ref=pd_sbs_468_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B018MS05OM&pd_rd_r=YGF21D73VB6ZKG294GH0&pd_rd_w=tvI27&pd_rd_wg=lh6Yt&refRID=YGF21D73VB6ZKG294GH0&th=1&psc=1

Here is a pic

IMG_2431.JPG

Edited by Florda Jack
spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went a similar route with the idea being I wasn't sure where I wanted to land on bar position, and the adjustable stem would let me try different positions, decide what I liked and then go for a fixed stem and bar that matched what I learned.  I knew right off the bat from using the stock bar/stem setup that I wanted the longest stem I could get my hands on.  In my case I chose the 125mm Sunlite adjustable stem on Amazon.

Link: http://a.co/4kD5YKJ

Its not Ritchey-level quality but from what I have seen this brand tends to be mid to upper range insofar as Chinese manufactured items are concerned.  In daily use on bumpy city streets at high speeds, its proven to be rock solid.  Which is nice because I still have all my teeth and would like to keep them.

I ended up not needing to adjust via trial and error.  My first try worked great.  20 degrees up.  Based on that, and how I think I might improve my posture, I purchased a 17-degree, 110mm stem and a flat 680mm-width bar with less sweep back than the 660mm Sondors bar that came with my bike.

20170203_221442.jpg

Bar is matte 3k carbon fiber, stem is matte 3k carbon with alloy ends.  Should be here in a couple weeks.

• Like 1

Default cable length was just fine for me.  In fact I added the Luna suspension fork (thats why I have that spacer above the stem as I didn't want to mess with cutting it down) and the front brake cable is still fine.  

Based on some of the bars I have seen pictured, I *think* the manufacturer for Sondors is varying bar profiles slightly over time.  Probably depending on what they can source at the moment.  My bar looks flatter than most I have seen, and Florda Jack's flatter still.  Regardless I don't think thats an issue with cable length.  Seems like there is plenty of slack.

• Like 1

We have Thins are looking to raise the height of the handlebars. It would make the ride more comfortable since we just use the bikes to cruise the beach front strand bike path. Can we adjust the existing hardware? If so,..any hints on how? Not real mechanical but willing to try. 

Hey @Steven Rime and welcome to wonderful mad world of the Sondors Owners Group. Enjoy your stay and please post to the members map and engage in the mayhem by posting any damn thing you want about how and where you ride. We all love pictures too. 

My first suggestion would be to go to a local bike shop. The shop charge should be minimal for such an easy addition. The bar height is not adjustable without the addition of a riser.  You'll be buying the part locally and start a relationship with that shop for future work and purchases. But if you like the idea of wrenching your own machine here is a collection of options.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=steering+tube+extender&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=190480234319&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15680150756640073124&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026906&hvtargid=kwd-26280134834&ref=pd_sl_6h2tnx8pe8_e

Reddy Kilowatt

image.jpeg.cffd101aa476967990d6e3d4d3528258.jpeg

Edited by Tabletteer

Very cool just getting the answer, thank you..sounds pretty easy. Want to keep the bars and bring them up and slightly back for beach cruising. Live on the bluffs at the foot of Redondo Beach and Palos Verdes,..easy rides up the hill in the evening makes these bikes the perfect addition to the family. Hard to keep the kids off of them. Can ride from Palos Verdes Estates to Santa Monica and back on the beach path "The Strand" on one charge. Awesome way to spend a day !! I love em,..

Malaga Bay.jpg

Sondors.jpg

Cowabunga Surf's Up @Steven Rime  My Grandmother and Grandfather lived in Redondo Beach and we loved to visit there. Yep, there is a lot of joy connected to the Sondors. Nice Pictures, Thanks for posting and how bout posting to the members map? 

image.jpeg.cffd101aa476967990d6e3d4d3528258.jpeg

Edited by Tabletteer

On 2/1/2017 at 4:17 AM, Florda Jack said:

I am 6' 2" and with the seat at the proper height, the handlebar is way too low for a comfortable riding position. After researching and considering different stem risers, new handlebars, etc, I settled on the Ritchey 4-Axis Adjustable Road/Mountain Bicycle Stem - BB Black . The size is 120mm/31.8mm. Once set to your preferred adjustment, the riser angle is locked in place, which to me is critcal for safety. I am very happy with the quality and result. I did switch the bolts from black to the stainless ones that came with our stock stem. I then used the black ones to fill the accessory holes on the frame. Looks better on my yellow frame than the stainless ones from sondors.

Here is a link :

https://www.amazon.com/Ritchey-4-Axis-Adjustable-Mountain-Bicycle/dp/B01849MCHC/ref=pd_sbs_468_8?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B018MS05OM&pd_rd_r=YGF21D73VB6ZKG294GH0&pd_rd_w=tvI27&pd_rd_wg=lh6Yt&refRID=YGF21D73VB6ZKG294GH0&th=1&psc=1

Here is a pic

IMG_2431.JPG

I know this is an old thread. Is the 31.8 mm the important number? I know the quality isn’t as good, but would this one fit? https://www.amazon.com/Trenztek-Aluminum-Adjustable-Handlebar-Extender/dp/B01N5MAFZB/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?keywords=adjustable%2Bbike%2Bstem&qid=1558120349&s=gateway&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1