Mycool Fargher

Hello from San Clemente - Sondors Surf Mobile

I ordered a Sondors OG - steel frame, 4.9" tires, LCD - and plan on using it to commute to the beach to surf, ride around town for errands, and hopefully bring it with me on many adventures. It will spend the vast majority of its life in the sand and salty sea air. I opted for steel because if damage occurs, it can be repaired more easily without much concern of structural integrity. 

I plan on giving it a thorough once over before I take it on its maiden voyage. Here is what I plan on doing:

-applying frame saver to the frame
-checking/truing wheels
-greasing all bolts, torquing to spec
-grease BB
-dipping the chain in molten speed wax

I would like to make some upgrades to my bike. Here is the beginning of my wishlist:

-titanium hardware (rotor bolts, caliper bolts, stem bolts, seatpost clamp bolt, crank bolts, etc)
-upgrade the seatpost and clamp (thomson or nice carbon post)
-new tires - vee rubber speedster or equivalent tire 26 x 3.5. I think the 4.9 tire would be nice for loose dirt or long sand rides but the majority of my riding will be on pavement or packed dirt

Has anyone mounted a surfboard rack on there Sondors bike? I saw some with a carver surf rack but I currently have the MBB rack on my cruiser. Will the MBB rack hardware clear the headtube? 

What tires do you like and why? I think the vee rubber speedster or sunlite crusher tires are a good compromise for light dirt and pavement use but I also like the tires from the Electra  Cruiser Lux Fat Tire bike. The tires on the electra may struggle in the loose/sandy stuff though. 

Hello, @Mycool Fargherand welcome to the Sondors Owners Forum. We are so happy you joined and please become an active member and contributor, so the forum members can benifit from your experience and insight. So often it's the case that new members come and ask a single question ...... Then, after getting their answer.... they abandon us. 

Looks like you have your upgrades and maintenance  carefully planned, sounds great. I like the stock tires after 1400 + miles, mostly pavement although I do ride some trail...gravel & packed dirt. Only one puncture. I do like the Kenda Juggernaut Pro 26 X 4.5 and will be upgrading when I've completed my 750w wheel build because they  have great reviews, are tubeless ready and look good. 

image.jpeg yippee ki-yay

Welcome to the forum!

I put on a Thomson seatpost clamp recently and it cured the seatpost's tendency to wander.  Only needed about 20 in lbs on the bolt.  Very impressed with its function and formwise it presents a MUCH cleaner appearance.

Presently I am using an Easton EA70 alloy 400mm seatpost but I have a c/f replacement on the way.  Nothing at all wrong with the Easton just trying to shave some weight.  and, um... well c/f is purdy.  Because the seatpost diameter is beach-cruiser-sized 28.6 I needed a Cane Creek shim to let me use a 27.2 post.

I am not going with titanium hardware as, upon reflection, I was a little worried about stripping what I can't upgrade.  A titanium 18mm rear axle bolt is still threading onto the same metal axle as was there before.  Worries me a little.  I did upgrade all the brake bolts and rotor bolts when I went to larger rotors.

Tirewise, my Vee V8s arrive tomorrow.  I do like the 4.9 monster tires but as I am primarily a city commuter I could use a little better rolling resistance, although I still don't want to completely go to a street tire.  The Vee8 *seems* like a good compromise.  I have seen some go to pure street/semi slicks and don't think those are a good fit for a 60 lb bicycle whose wheels are made in China.  The low pressure, high volume fat tires provide us with some give that I worry we won't get with a 2.5 Hookworm, for example.  I looked at the Duro Beach Bum and it met my size concerns but on an 80mm rim it looks like I could wind up riding on the sidewall in cornering and not crazy about that.

While you are at it, grease the headset bearings.  Mine were almost dry.  And I found the crank arms couldn't have had more than a few foot-lbs of torque holding them on.  They worked but that wouldn't have lasted forever.  A long 8mm hex wrench travels with me in my road toolkit.

Yeah MoneyPit. Getting the bling on! Thomson is the gold standard for cycling bits. It is a shame they don't make more stuff. The goal with this bike is to be as minimialist/simple. I forked out 850$ shipped so I don't want to spend a ton more on accessories but I do see value adding certain accessories from the onset. I appreciate the info on the tires. I will look into the Vee8s more. I am debating between the stock tires and Vee Speedster 26 x 3.5 with more air for less rolling resistance. I'm not racing anyone nor planning on trying to rip through corners on the pavement so the grip/traction of a higher inflated tire isn't to concerning. Since the stock tires come with the bike I may end up with them unless I can sell them. Did you upgrade your rotors to 180mm? Slowing/stopping a 60 pound beast is certainly something I want to be sure the brakes will do. There are a couple short hills to get to the beach from my house so braking power is on my radar. Did you have to upgrade your calipers or just the hanger/brackets? Yeah I'm gonna be going through everything in the headset and crank before riding. I am going to do titanium to help fend off any rust - whether surface/superficial or not. The wheels are a slight concern since the spokes seem to be semi thin (14 or 15 gauge). I will make sure they are true and torqued prior to riding.

I had forgotten about rust on the coast.  I live in a coastal town in CenCal and work in Fresno where I actually spend most of my time and the Sondors lives.  My bike hardware at home needs attention just from sitting in the garage.  No surf needed.  Keep us posted on what you buy and where.  Thinking on it in that context its a good idea.  I do have some Grade 8 wheel bolts sitting in a bag that I planned to use but titanium can be affordable from the right source.

The other thing I was uncertain of was traction in the wet.  The Hookworm with its micro tread is ideal for this but its just not big enough for my taste.  The stockers do grip well when wet from what I can see and the 4.0 version is only going to be better.  Trouble is its not a folder.

Yes I upgraded the rotors.  I used a 203mm Avid G2CS SS up front (prefer the G2 to the G3).  Thats a rotor which in my opinion emphasizes form over function... too many rotors out there are all holes and no heat sink material.  These are a good balance with extra material at the base to soak up heat.  I presently have a G2CS 180 (not an SS) in the back.  Both have M5x12 stainless hex socket caps holding the rotors down for full thread engagement-plus with the lock washers I also put on.  The front caliper uses a Tektro 203mm adapter with 4 6mm flat washers adding additional clearance.  the rear uses an Avid 170mm spacer with 3 washers (tried the tektro 180 spacer and it was way too big).  Both have upgraded bolts that are longer to deal with the spacers and stay fully threaded.  I didn't realize it but Avid makes a G2CS rotor in 185 and I may have been able to use that instead of going to a smaller adapter and building up.

Rear pads remain the stock Kevlar grey Tektros, but the fronts are their red metal compound, which is less aggressive at low street temps, but the way I have the brakes adjusted the rears do most of the work, so between technique and pad I have the brakes biased the way I want.  

Brakes were noisy.  I have Permatex green brake lube on the back of the front pads and it works a treat.  Use it on a track car and it works there so the bike is light duty for it.

The Tektro calipers are fine so far.  I prefer cabled brakes for simplicity and if for some reason I see a problem I can put on a BB7 caliper for about $36.  But they clamp just fine and hold onto the cables so no complaints there.

My rear rim was out of whack slightly from Day 1 and its not getting better.  Having trouble locally finding someone who will re-string it with better spokes.

Edited by MoneyPit

On 1/22/2017 at 4:08 PM, Mycool Fargher said:

I ordered a Sondors OG - steel frame, 4.9" tires, LCD - and plan on using it to commute to the beach to surf, ride around town for errands, and hopefully bring it with me on many adventures.

Has anyone mounted a surfboard rack on there Sondors bike? I saw some with a carver surf rack but I currently have the MBB rack on my cruiser. Will the MBB rack hardware clear the headtube? 

No one answered your question about the surf rack.  My son is buying an OG and will be using it to go surfing.

What rack did you end up buying?  Anyone else have a good suggestion?

Thanks!

Just bought a Sondors fat tire bike for my son to get himself to and from the beach for surfing, we had surfboard racks from his cruiser that did not work, I am buying the ones that attach only to the seat post that I think will do the trick. I’ll keep you posted! 

Hey Mycool - I'm new to the group as well, but I'm in San Clem as well in a family of surf addicts. We all have the FoldX 7 speeds, but I have an opinion on the surf racks.

The Carver racks seem to be the most common, but from experience they are not the best. Your MBB are the top utilitarian choice for the simple fact that the arms are removable. The Carvers suck in this area! The Carver arms are removable, but they leave the 6" 90 degree elbow intact which is a nuisance for riding. A next best alternative is the Wheele trailer... again, super easy to totally remove. May be overkill if all you do is shortboard. But, if you like loading up with a couple boards, or longboard, and want to use the storage bag for gear... they can't be beat.

cheers-

new guy