alienmeatsack

OW! Riders, please wear safety gear and be careful!

Thanks for the support and encouragement @3D-vice - I am just hitting that point where the weather is becoming amazing and I know I'm still a long way from being riding friendly again with a nice bike sitting in the garage waiting for my love.

I want to be out riding. Before the wreck, I was riding 20-25 miles a day now, zilch. I'm losing all my progress. Its frustrating. But it could have been worse I guess.

Quick update. It's been 2 months and 3 weeks since the wreck. I am in PT and am going to start learning to walk with a cane and the boot next visit until I can rebuild my leg strength.

I've been working on leg strength for a few weeks and started doing more work in the pool. I love it there, I am free, I can stand, walk around as long as I dont get to close to the shallow end, and it helps my range of motion.

I figure I have 2 or 3 months before I am walking somewhat normal again, and cant bike until next year but I'm making progress.

And not to sound like a broken record but be careful on your Sondors eBikes - these guys can go fast enough to do damage if you are careless. Say, hitting a curb sideways at maybe 10MPH.

The 2 plates, 5 scars and last 3 months of my life are proof of this.

Anyway, I hope everyone is enjoying their ebikes in this amazing sunny weather, and those of you who have your Thins are doing same. Mine will be opened, assembled, tested and garaged until next year sadly.

@alienmeatsack Hey man, good to hear from you! It's good to read the there's steady progress in your regeneration process. :)

Unfortunately, the weather here in Germany is a mixture between rain, sun and hail. So it is quite difficult to do a nice and DRY ride.

• Like 1

The wisdom is if you ride long enough. You will go down at least once.  I've gone down three times, not  on the Sondors, well not yet. First time was the worst. I rear ended a mini van going down hill at Yosemite. Traffics ahead, the van slow down to a crawl, but the brakes on my bike didn't work too well while going down hill at 40mph. Lesson, car brakes work much better than bicycle brakes. My head hit the pavement but was saved by the helmet. Dislocated my shoulders, the bike was ruined, but I was ok in a few months. I would never ride without a helmet. Look like you are slowly recovering. Just take time.

• Like 1

@Nickst - It's funny that... I rode BMX racing and freestyle in the 80s when it was just becoming popular and did all kinds of crazy stuff and worst I got was the wind knocked out of me, sore tailbone, etc.

FFWD to now and I have 4 nice bikes, each for it's own purpose. And I think I was just getting a bit too comfy on the bike, in traffic etc. I can def see how those bike messengers whip around without a care, they have learned to tune it out. In my case however, each day that passes, I think about the wreck and how fast I thought I was going vs how fast I was actually going etc and wonder where the truth is vs my mind.

All I know is, I've ridden aggressively for a very long time and never had a fall like this and then whammo. It hits ya.

Not trying to scare people. Jjust remind everyone that a normal bike can be dangerous and you need to wear gear and ride safely. An eBike like the Sondors with it's upgrades and high speeds, you need to really put some effort into the safety side of things.

Walking with my boot and a cane now. I have a month or 2 of this before I walk without the cane and then who knows how long with the cane. All because I was having fun and not paying attention, just getting to my destination.

Twice this has happened to be in a row, being down all summer due to an ailment or similar. Hoping NEXT summer is NOT like this... I have a LOT of miles to ride to make up and a lot of muscle and cardio to rebuild.

Even just walking across the house requires me to conjure up the energy.

I need a trike Sondors! :D I have enough battery power in the fatty I could ride everywhere on nit all day and never run out of battery. That would be nice. Maybe do some basic pedaling like the stationary bikes in PT.

3 months and 3 days since the wreck.

• Like 1

Hi again my friends. Another update from your favorite broken leg eBike guy. :D 4 and a half months after the wreck now, made lots of progress.

As of the week before last, I am officially free of my boot for anything but rough terrain, but I just avoid that and use sidewalks, roads, etc when I can. I can drive my car again too!

I finally saw my xrays and zowie did I do a number on that bone! Hoping to get a copy of the first ER (A&E for some of you) xrays and my xrays of my healing progress once I am done w xrays. I've had a lot of people ask me about it and they want to see xrays and hear details. And then do that "oh my god" face after like they wished they hadnt asked.

I am still in PT (Physical Therapy in case PT does not mean the same in other countries) and have a month or 2 to go easily. And then 6 months easy more healing and getting used to walking etc. And I cant ride any of my bikes or my Harley until next year Spring at the minimum. But there's a chance I will get to ride soon on a lighter bike maybe by years end so here's hoping.

Meanwhile my THIN is in the box, in the garage, with the fatty, just waiting for me to be better.

Attaching the last mobility shot I took of my feet. You can see how wide my ankle on the right is because of the plates. And me by my car, happy I can drive again (and man is it hot outside!)

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you @3D-vice! It is very nice to BE back on my feet again. I have a long way to go before I can ride again, but I've come SO FAR and I feel like you guys have been with me on my journey.

I just hope NOT to see this kind of post here again. I know others will do what I did in some way, so I post in hopes that someone might avoid my own stupidity... 

I am looking at shoes today with better ankle support and foot padding. I am hoping to find some good summer hiking shoes I can wear that might also give me a bike friendly experience. If not, I'll just wear what I have and do my PT and join you all in their Spring for riding again.

• Like 1

On the bottom of the shot, the THIN pedal, brand new. On the top, the road rash covered pedal from the Fat Bike from March 23rd 2016.

I really bunged up the pedal, chain, crank arm and shaft. Everything has to be replaced. Good thing is, I have all the original parts, so I can put them on as needed.

Tuesday was my 5 month anniversary. And I literally have a year of recovery to go easily. I should be walking normally by years end. Biking MAYBE next Spring.

I'm also sending in a request for all the xrays now that I'm far enough along that you won't see as much diff. I've had a dozen people ask me to see the xrays, the plates and screws etc. And I want to see the orginal break that the ER (A&E) said was 'a clean break no big deal' but was very obviously NOT. lol. I shattered, split and broke it, I dont think that is a clean break. Funny how people ask me about it, asking for details, they make the OOOWWFFFFF face and act like they wish they had not of asked. If you ask me about my broken leg, I am not just going to say "I broke it". I am going to give you details, so don't ask if you don't really want to know. :D

IMG_6748.JPG

IMG_6750.JPG

This and other stories inspired me to get a downhill helmet to protect my face in a crash. It's actually pretty comfortable, a bit hotter than a regular helmet, and man does it get looks from other bicyclists on the road. They must think it weighs a lot more than it does. It is only a bit heavier than a regular venty helmet.

Down-O-Matic

On the plus side it matches my evolving black and red color scheme.

@Grinchy - I see people on the river trail (paved trail along the river here) wearing full face helmets. I love the looks people give them, even the simpler ones. I always ride with my reg bike helmet but I am also considering something a little more protective. I also always wear gloves. I'm considering using some more padding, maybe knee and elbow. I know I'd look silly... but when you ride these you tend to go 10-20MPH, and that is fast enough to break your leg, or your head, or any other part.

Im also going to ride with my small GoPro on my helmet or bike, not sure. I want to be able to see my rides, if I screw up, etc.

Today is another re-evaluation at Physical Therapy. I then get my rx renewed and do another month's worth. Or they cut me off and I have to do it all myself. Either way, I have a lot of work to do before I can ride again. Not including the mental issues I'll have as I ride again the first times..

I wonder how long until I forget this event and just ride like I did? Or will I always remember it?

Speaking of safety ... We were riding our Thin bikes Monday, stopped before turning left across a busy road and witnessed a traditional cyclist get smashed up by a car turning left in front of him. We realized we need to get some blinking reflectors and use mirrors. Has anyone found some good mirrors that fit on the Thin handlebars?

Guess who can now officially ride his Sondors again!!! ME! The THIN and I will be going out (slowly and carefully) once the rain is gone, maybe tomorrow. I'm excited and scared to death seeing as how last time I rode I did a bad thing to my leg.

@KBinMB - mirrors, not sure, but I'd guess any good bike mirror that mounts on the bar or bar end and goes up or down and can be adjusted should work. Id also add one of those little wide angle mirrors to the main mirror for a wider view.

Lights/blinkers - I use Blackburns 2Fer lights front and back, they can be on steady or blink for visiblity in red or white. (USB chargeable and affordable) In white mode, its actually better then many expensive headlamps for bikes IMHO. Turn signals, there's a thread here for some that go into the bar ends and you just tap the end to turn it on and off. I have those on my fatty. I use them more as a continuous ON blinking signal when riding in the dark to make me visible. I also recommend some kind of light that isn't' too heavy to offset tire/wheel balance that goes where your reflectors on the wheels would go. More lights = more people can see you. Doesnt' stop you from making a mistake but it takes a little edge off the ride if safety is a concern.

I rode officially today!!!! On my THIN, I went 5 miles round trip. Basically trying to keep it casual, I tried to stay around 10MPH or less which wasn't easy, the PAS 1 wanted to push me to around 12MPH when pedaling on flat windless trails.

The fat bike is sitting, waiting for some love, but I am still scared of it plus it's so heavy the THIN makes more sense until my leg is stronger.

Welcome back to doing what you love good man, why thank you me, it was a blast! :D

I did wear a ankle brace to help keep my ankle from getting tweaked and worked hard NOT to lean to that side. I think I did well minus not being able to "feel" the pedals through my shoes, sock and brace on the right.

5 miles down... many to go. And NO MORE BREAKING tHINGS! I hope! :D

Cheers and thank you to everyone who showed their support. I appreciate it, as I worry about each of you when you are out riding too. We all are bonded by our love of biking and more importantly our Sondors. Brothers (and sisters) of the eBike, unite! (Wait, you all do that, just not here when I live.) :D

IMG_7028.jpg

IMG_7026sm.jpg

• Like 2

Alright, All of this about the broken leg, now I have X-Rays from the ER (A&E) to share. I hope they arent a trigger or offensive to anyone. If so, please PM me and I will remove the images and link to them so others can see but you dont have to if you look here.

ANd I present to you what happens when you ride too fast, are overheated and dehydrated and make a stupid mistake on a heavy bike.

Tib-Fib Lat.jpg

Tib-Fib AP.jpg

2016.03.24_1510 2016-09-23 17-31-43.jpg

2016.03.24_1510 2016-09-23 17-31-29.jpg

2016.03.24_1510 2016-09-23 17-30-57.jpg

Here is the best view in closeup so you can see the two pointy spurs where things are not where they should be.

Looking at all these, I am just amazed, astounded really at the bones and how they all work together in this magical machine we call the human body. Look at all the bones in my leg and foot, ALL of those work together and you don't think about that, you just see your feet, your toes, move them and walk, run and bike without appreciating what amazing workmanship is in there. GROWN out of a few microscopic parts into this machine. Pretty darn cool. (The body not the break)

Documents DB 2016-09-24 11-02-06.jpg

• Like 1

I thought I'd update this thread with my progress so you can see what kind of impact this kind of injury can have on a person. It's been a year and 3 months since I broke my leg and had surgery. I am able to ride thanks to the Sondors PAS helping me along w the throttle, and have done so many times. I still struggle on a standard bike due to the plate causing pressure on my bone in the leg, so hills or anytime you need to really stand on it I experience pain. Throttle and PAS FTW here.

I had to have GI surgery in March 2017 (almost the same date of my leg surgery one year later) and was down for a few months before and after. But I was cleared to ride etc 2 months ago and RIDE I HAVE! :D

Over the last 28 days, I've ridden 10-18 miles every single day (minus one I worked in the yard and rode a smaller ride and yesterday I rode 25). Biking is the one thing I can do without pain, and I thank my Sondors for that. When my leg was super weak, the PAS set up higher helped me literally ride 10 miles without issues. As my leg has gotten stronger and my ROM has increased in my ankle, I've been able to drop it to PAS 1 and sometimes w wind behind me PAS 0. And when the wind is gusting against me, I use PAS 2 or 3 to help me keep my pace.

I credit my slow but strong recovery to the Sondors Thin which I've put 630miles since I got it, most of those w my broken and then healed leg.

I limp when I walk and have to wear ankle support or tall hiking boots and still have pain, I can't jog or run or even hike due to the uneven terrain but my Thin has allowed me to bike daily and feel human again. My Physical Therapist and surgeon both said the bike was a great idea and that I was improving much faster as a result of using it since it allowed me to pedal when one leg was not strong enough and it helps me to keep my ankle moving and stretch and work the muscles and tendons.  I'm building my leg and ankle up and keeping my ankle flexible in the process as well as getting back into shape.

I still have a fear of curbs and the edges of pathways as a result of the wreck, and have had one incident where I got off the path accidentally, dropping 2" into sand and was lucky enough to slow and stop and fall into my left unbroken foot/leg to stop me. I don't know how long the fear will be there but I ride more carefully now. I was pretty out of control going as fast and carelessly as I wanted on the fatty before the accident. So I think despite the setbacks this has made me a better rider, person, and has aided me in ways I didn't even consider.

I am having the plate removed before the end of the year and am told this will reduce the pain when walking and hiking but I will have to do PT and have recovery again, just not as lengthy. it's been a long journey to today from March 2016, but I am here to tell the tale. And I have loved my Thin even more since because of its helping me.

I am about at the point where I can use my normal bike for rides, but I def feel the pain from pedalling on hills and such after. So I've stuck to the Thin mostly. Loving this bike and what it's done to help me!

Photo Jun 26, 12 43 07 PM.png

• Like 1

Another update for those who are paying attention.

Earlier this year I did 60 days straight on the Thin, thank goodness for the Sondors, without them I would not be doing what I have been without their help when the bad leg needs help.

Sadly, a few months ago, I worked so hard on my range of motion that I finally hit the “golden limit”. I hit a point in ankle dorsal and plantar flexion that caused the broken part that set a little off due to the complexity of the break with the Talus and Calcaneous bones, essentially hitting my limit in both directions. So that’s as far as I can go without further work done. But I am still very very thankful to be where I am at.

Fast forward a few days, I started having major pain in my leg from the screws sticking through the bone into the muscle as well as new pain from this new found impingement between the main bone and the bone that it pivots off of (the Talus). The pain between the two go so bad I ended up sitting at home and eventually in the ER.

Last Monday, I had surgery to remove the interior plate, 1 year and 10 months after the fact. I feel like a new man and I’m still healing, seriously. It’s been a long long journey and I’ve proved I can do this.

But I will most likely forever fear edges of sidewalks and trails as a result. But thanks to my Sondors I can ride! And that my friends is one heck of a plus here!

Who knew that a bike could do so much damage over such a long term? I sure didnt. But, thank the diety of choice for those applicable, I am still beating this just the same.

And I’ve started repairs on the fatty so I may finally get to ride it soon again. Wahoo!

Good to hear you are still up and riding alienmeatsack, 

24 hours after getting my Sondors Fat 7x, I almost took a somersault over the handlebars while navigating some dirt ruts at a lower speed.  I was not used to being off road on on such large tires and it showed.   Luckily I did not have the accident you had to bare.  But it did make me go to the store to pickup a new helmet for future rides.   :D