alienmeatsack

OW! Riders, please wear safety gear and be careful!

Well, the inevitable happened. I am officially the first here that I know of to crash my Sondors and break my leg/ankle. 

Yesterday I was riding my bike to the doctors office, I tried to hop a curb but tried to do so sideways even though I was going slow and my back wheel slide along the curb and I went down.

My right foot took the blow and I broke my tibia and fibula. The paramedics praised me for wearing my helmet as well. I was pretty out of it. A nice man took my bike to his house for Mom to pickup today and Im now down for 2-3 months. Bad timing.

So lease heed my warning, going 20MPH is fun, these bikes are fun, but please be careful!!!

Much Sondors love,

r

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I wish you a fast and clean recovery with no aftermath, man. Since there are so many disasterous accidents involving bikes, I'm glad to hear that "just" your leg got damaged.

I got praise from the first responders, ambulance, ER personnel al about wearing the helmet. And it's a nice one that does a good job, worth every penny.

Wonderingif I should get some pads or wear boots or lace up shoes that go above my ankles like when I ride my Harley.

Thanks for the well wishes. I won't be riding my bike or any bike for 2-3 months most likely. THe timing is really awful But I am glad it was just my leg and not worse for sure.

r

@Art Lupinacci - Actually I had slowed way down and was trying to hop onto a curb to get off the main road. The curb that was most directly accessibly was preceeded by some rough looking grass and I decided not to risk it, so I tried to go up on to the curb running the same direction I was riding. I got the front wheel up but the back wheel didn't quite make it and slid, 65lbs of bike went sideways and my foot planted to stop me, with 65lbs of bike pulling on it.

FYI i got my official diagnosis, I have to have surgery and plates put in to get my ankle/fibula/tibia to heal correctly - that is Monday.

I think if I was going slower, I would still have bailed, but if it was a normal weight bike it would have been nothing more then a sprain.

5 hours ago, alienmeatsack said:

But also let my experience be a reminder to all Sondors riders out there that these bikes, due to their weight and power, are to betaken seriously. 

So say we all !

• Like 1

@3D-vice I think a lot of us forget these bikes are fast and heavy. And many don't even wear helmets when riding regular bikes which they should.

I dont want to be "that guy" who harps on safety, but I am sort of living proof that 65lb bike and having a little too much fun and a little too little care for surroundings can end poorly.

I just want my Sondors riding friends, all of them out there, to enjoy their bikes safely. So I can read of their adventures from my sofa. Knowing each is alive and unbroken.

I just crawled into the garage to inspect the damage to my bike.

Seat post is bent. handlebars are out of whack, cant tell if they are bent or just need to be straightening.

The crank shaft is bent and the right crank and chainwheel are bent to hell. The right pedal is also ground down pretty bad. I was not going that fast, 65lbs of bike is a lot of weight added with forward motion to apply to pavement.

I will have to order a new crankshaft and bearing kit and a replacement crank set. And get new pedals just to be safe. The seat post I need to inspect better when I can get a better eye on it to see if it can be straightened or needs replacement.

It doesn't appear to have any other major issues. I am surprised the chain and derailleur arent hosed. Could still be. But I was not able to do much hobbling around in the dark garage on one foot.

I hope to inspect it next week after surgery one Im mobile and take some photos, order parts. Not like there's a rush here. I cant ride for months at least.

I wonder how long it will take me to get comfortable again. I was pretty comfy riding it until this. Now I want to set the top speed to 5mph and walk it places. Ill relearn my confidence.

My surgery is tomorrow. Hoping it goes well and I can report back that my newly rebuilt ankle is good for forward progress.

@Clockburner lol - I was actually thinking of that, something that uses the crank axle and has pedals on it so I can get around. But, due to the height of the bike I'd have to drop the seat way down. Assuming I can based on the damage to the post.

Its almost like an electric scooter, Vespa style lol.

Surgery is tomorrow. Once that's done I;ll get my future path laid out for my recovery. you can bet you asses I am sticking to their plan but I will be riding befor years end. And with the he battery I have now I know I have enough to get me around. I can't drive but I may be able to throttle ride the bike to get around.

WIsh me lunch,

r

Surgery went well. I was told I will be able to get a boot and be more mobile in 2 weeks when I go in for my post op followup. And I should, barring any issues, be able to start working out my upper body then. And start a light leg and ankle workout hopefully to get my strength back.

Its killing me knowing its gorgeous out there and I cant ride!

Partner, so sorry to hear about your mishap.  From your photo I can tell we have a bit in common.  I just ordered my Sondors so I haven't had the chance to do anything stupid.  That is definitely a concern of mine.  Hopefully my common sense will win out over my new found "freedom" on the ebike!  I wish you a speedy recovery!  BTW, I am not implying you were doing anything stupid; I have the market covered on that (can you catwalk an ebike?)

Edited by bangddock

Just had a look at my bike to see what the damage was.

The pedal on the right is scraped up good, easy to replace though.

The crankshaft is most definitely bent. It's literally bent right at the taper where the crank goes on. When I spin it, you can see its straight to the point and spins freely but the crank and chainwheel wobbly. hard to tell in the photo.

The seat was turned sideways, super easy fix. Beyond that, I see nothing wrong. Bars are a tad off center, but all the brakes and everything works fine and the battery/controller/motor are fine.

I am most definitely considering upgrading the brakes. I think I hit the curb at max 5MPH and it was enough to break multiple bones in my ankle, grate off a good chunk of the pedal and bend the crankshaft itself and not the crank arm. The 5 piece spider and chain wheel are also bent in the other direction. But its a super easy fix.

I got in Tuesyday for my followup on the surgery to find out if the metal in my foot held, its healing well and if I get a boot and can start walking easier. I'm def in a lot less pain but I have a lot of work to go before I can bike, squat or hike again.

IMG_5037.jpg

IMG_5041.jpg

I got my boot yesterday, a week early. And I'm supposed to start doing ankle/foot exercises this week on the foot.

25 staples to sew up the incisions left from putting the plates and screws.

Remember kids, safety first.

Hi again. Just over a month now in and to add to my misery as I look out into the beautiful riding weather, I got a super massive cold this past week to add insult to injury.

I am feeling better and think I'm still on track with my leg break. I have an appt Tues at which I hope to get a walking boot and start PT. I still have months of work to do though.

It's been a month and a week aprox and I can see a big difference between my two legs. The broken one looks old and feeble, thin. Hard road still ahead but I'm going to be walking and shooting photos this year and riding again maybe sometime after the new year with any luck. I was told that I can expect to be told to avoid biking for the rest of the year which is a huge let down since I have a Thin coming in May on top of my souped up 3 speed 60m range fatty in the garage.

Can't say it enough, wear your helmets, ride safely, keep your safety in mind. Dont end up like me, or worse.

IMG_5693.jpg

Edited by alienmeatsack

HEY THERE, man! :) Good to hear/read from you again. Sorry to read about the bad cold you got in addition to your broken leg ... well, we know the saying: It never rains but it pours. Unfortunately, it is a very common thing that the leg being preserved for healing purposes suffers from muscle atrophy. Anyway, get well soon, man! :)